Rick and Steve,

It seems to me that the importance of roles in innovation has as much to do
with context as it does with structure generally speaking. Perhaps roles in
Open Source communities are different than roles in R&D labs or academic
environments. In examining roles, it might be worthwhile to incorporate
contextual factors. If anyone has ideas on approaches to considering "roles
in context" I would be interested in dialoguing.

Here are the citations you requested Steve. Rick, if you have not already,
you might be interested in the Hargadon and Sutton work - a qualitative
look at brokerage in the context of product development innovation.

Best

sinan

Gould, Roger V. and Roberto M. Fernandez. 1989. "Structures of Mediation: A
Formal Approach to Brokerage in Transaction Networks." Sociological
Methodology, Vol. 19., pp. 89-126.

Fernandez, R. M. Structural bases of leadership in intraorganizational
networks. Social Psychology Quarterly, 1991, 54, 36-53.

Fernandez, Roberto M. and Roger V. Gould. 1994. "A Dilemma of State Power:
Brokerage and Influence in the National Health Policy Domain." American
Journal of Sociology, Vol. 99, No. 6., pp. 1455-1491.

Hargadon, A and Sutton, R (1997) Technology Brokering and Innovation in a
Product Development Firm, Administrative Science Quarterly, (42), p. 716-749.