Eric:

This sort of task may be easier to do if you are willing and able to do
a little bit of programming.  There are several different APIs (aka
software libraries) available for manipulating and analyzing networks.
If you're comfortable with Java, you may want to take a look at JUNG
(http://jung.sourceforge.net).  (Disclaimer: I'm one of the project's
developers.)

Regards, and good luck,

Joshua O'Madadhain

On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 11:16 US/Pacific, E. C. Hedberg wrote:

> Hello, my name is Eric Hedberg and I am a graduate student
> at the University of Chicago in the sociology department.  I
> am about to start work on my masters, and my thesis will
> look at how family role-network characteristics (I can send
> you more information if you would like to know more) affect
> a focal person's time spent at work, doing chores, and
> levels of role strain.
>
> My problem is this: most of the network analysis programs I
> have tried (UCINET, for example) are unable to analyze
> several discrete,
> unconnected networks (such as the N=10,000 families in the
> National Survey of Families and Households) Most
> programs are set up to only analyze a single network at
> a time, and the manpower needed to run over 10,000
> sessions would surely bring me to old age.
>
> My question
> is this: is there a  program that would be able to run
> several thousand discrete analyses and produce summary
> statistics (such as size, centrality, geo-disc, etc) that
> can then be imported back into SPSS, SAS or HLM2 for further
> analysis?  I ultimately want to predict an individual
> outcome variable  with regular individual characteristics
> and family network characteristics; or even use the network
> statistics as the dependent variable.  if there is anything
> that would be useful, or if there is a way to make UCINET
> batch-run numbers for several netowrks and tie each output
> statistic to the id number, I  would really be greatful.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric Hedberg
>

> E. C. Hedberg
> Data Research and Development Center at NORC
> University of Chicago
> 1155 East 60th Street
> Chicago, IL 60637
> 773-256-6176
>

> e. c. hedberg
> DRDC Researcher
> Sociology Graduate Student
> National Opinion Research Center
> Room 268
> 1155 E. 60th Street
> Chicago, IL 60637
> Work 773-256-6176
> Cell 773-909-6801
>
> check out the movie:
> www.siegeperilousfilms.com

  jmadden@ics.uci.edu...Obscurium Per
Obscurius...www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
   Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician,
Philosopher-At-Tall
  It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill
Watterson
My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any
organization.