Maybe the problem with many of the translations lies in the fact that
interpretors were not into social sciences and not into SNA. They didn't
know what exactly Social Network Analysis would mean in their native
language because it didn't have much meaning to them in English. Sometimes a
language doesn't actually have a direct equivalent for "network" with the
same general meaning as in English so to some degree interpreters will be
inventing new terminology. I think it is important that translations are
done or verified by social scientists-native speakers.

One comment on Tom's suggestion. SOCNET list has to be adapted for a variety
of fonts before you send any translation drafts. I received abracadabra for
Tad's spelling of foreign words, although usually I have no trouble reading
messages in non-latin fonts.

Olga