Sinan, Rick and Steve,
I think some other  important dimensions of context in brokerage and
innovation is type of knowledge that is to be transfered (explicit -
implicit/ tacit, degree of embeddedness of some artifact/ dependence on
environment, private vs. collective good). The more the knowledge
process is dependent on contexts, hand-on processes, the more an
"embedded" (in contrast to a "structural hole") broker is needed.

Best
Dorothea

--
Prof. Dr. Dorothea Jansen
Lehrstuhl für Soziologie der Organisation

Tel. 06232/654-364 oder -359 (Sekretariat)
Fax: 06232/654-418 oder -306
Homepage: http://www.dhv-speyer.de