From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Don Steiny
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 12:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Harrison White - Identity and Control

Hi,

        After Mark Granovetter suggested I read Identity and Control
twice (in both senses) I made a determined effort and have gotten
through it the first time.  It has given me a whole new perspective on
networks and reading it was a wonderful experience, but I feel like I
missed more than I got.  I have a couple of questions.

1.  His terminology seems ideosyncratic.  Is there a precident for
    using "discipline" the way he does?   How about "story?"

2.  I have been looking up some of the key authors he refers to and
reading
    them.   For instance, Eric Leifer's work related to White gives
"ties"
    a whole different meaning than how I had been thinking of them.
White
    refers to Erving Goffman frequently and I am reading some of his
stuff.
    It seems to me that Goffman, at least, is "symbolic interactionism"
    subdivision of sociology (I may be off base about this, I am just
learning).
    What would be some other stuff to read to get the big picture of
where
    White is coming from?

3.  I would like to start a listserv to discuss White.  In fact, I
already
    have, but there is no one subscribed to it but me.  I talked to Mark
    Granovetter and he said the he and 4 of his best graduate students
    read a chapter of White every week or two and then got together and
    disucssed it.  I have learned a lot from listservs on CS Peirce and
    Hayek, I am wondering if there would be enough interest in White?

    Just in case sign up at:

-Don
--
Don Steiny - Central Coast Angel Network - www.ccangels.net  Institute