David,

The story is actually about Social Network *Applications* like Spoke, Friendster, LinkedIn, etc.  The author called me a few months ago and was mostly interested in the privacy issues around these web tools.  When I started talking about social network *analysis* and *visualization*, he quickly lost interest.

Yes, I have run into many SNA newbies recently who think Milgram or Gladwell or Watts or Barabasi started this field.  Rob Cross has an 'SNA in business' book coming out very soon that notes/references/cites the landmark articles/research in this field -- prior to this century.

FWIW,

Valdis

[SNIP]