Dear Socnetters

Not only did something like this happen in the US. In 2001 we had a huge scandal involving the german government regarding the so called "Leuna-Akte" (Leuna-Papers). A swiss general attorney had tried to show on a huge map how money moved between germany, switzerland and france. It might not have been as big as the stuff Lombardi did, but it nearly, but only nearly, generated a huge amount of criminal charges against high ranking politicinas here in germany. Some french mangagers had to go to jail though, as far as I am informed.

I guess, that one of the most prominent topics of SNA is exactly this kind of networking. And with all the electronic communication data, it might, but only might, become more "realtime".

regards,
Bettina

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:10:04PM -0500, Edward Vielmetti wrote:

> Forwarded to me by Terri Lonier, an account of the Mark Lombardi
> exhibit that's been travelling the country.  Ed
>

> > The Sinister Beauty of Global Conspiracies
> >
> > October 26, 2003
> >  By ELEANOR HEARTNEY
> >
> > Conspiracy theories are a grand old American tradition -
> > the mother of them all being the speculation surrounding
> > President John F. Kennedy's assassination. In the
> > entertainment field, paranoia sells - from the novels of
> > Tom Clancy to the <object.title class="Movie"
> > idsrc="nyt_ttl" value="162748">"X-Files"</object.title> to
> > an endless series of Hollywood blockbusters. After
> > pornography, among the most visited sites on the Internet
> > are those devoted to conspiracies.
> >
> > But what if it's all true? The conspiracy industry, with
> > its mostly unproved if not unprovable charges of vast webs
> > of shadowy operatives, secret political alliances and
> > illicit money channels, has been given a boost by recent
> > events. The Sept. 11 attacks provided a glimpse into a
> > world of loosely bound international terrorist cells while
> > inspiring a host of wild charges about the secret
> > involvement of the United States and other governments. The
> > Enron scandal uncovered a network of off-the-books
> > partnerships, and, more recently, the director Michael
> > Moore announced that his next documentary, "Fahrenheit
> > 911," would delve into connections between the Bush and bin
> > Laden families.
> >
> > Mark Lombardi would not have been surprised, as can be seen
> > in "Global Networks," an exhibition of his delicate
> > filigree drawings that map his version of the flow of
> > global capital. The show opens on Saturday at the Drawing
> > Center in SoHo and remains on view through Dec. 17. In
> > these works, solid and broken lines, circles and squiggles
> > enmesh the names of organizations and individuals in webs
> > of often surprising interconnections. One drawing charts
> > the workings of the Vatican Bank, in the process linking
> > its directors to the Mafia and the illegal transport of
> > firearms.
> >
> > Another purports to show how Iraq was armed in the 1980's
> > through a secret scheme supposedly involving the top levels
> > of the American and British governments and Italy's largest
> > bank, the Banca Nazionale del Lavoro. Yet another follows
> > the course by which the Bank of Commerce and Credit,
> > International (B.C.C.I.) was accused of having become a
> > funnel for a variety of illegal operations, including
> > laundering drug money, supporting the Iran-Contra operation
> > and backing Afghan Mujahedeen fighters.
> >
> > Lombardi died, a suicide, at 48 in March 2000. (Conspiracy
> > theories notwithstanding, those closest to him cite a
> > series of personal reversals.) Since then, his work has
> > attracted a growing body of admirers. One of them is Robert
> > Hobbs, a professor of art history at Virginia Commonwealth
> > University and the curator of this exhibition, which was
> > organized under the auspices of Independent Curators Inc.

> [...]

Dipl.-Phys. Bettina Hoser
Informationsdienste und elektronische Märkte
Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
D-76128 Karlsruhe

Gebäude 20.20 RZ (Raum 164), Zirkel 2