We recently wanted to start a program that would use instructors as
volunteer tutors. As part of their employment contract, instructors at our
college must do a certain number of community service hours per week. We
wanted these community service hours to be used in our tutoring center.

Unfortunately, I was told that we could not do this. The rationale for this
was as follows:

Instructors who volunteer might be seen more favorably by their supervisors
and be more likely to get promotions/pay raises, etc. Other instructors
might feel pressured to volunteer in the tutoring center to "keep up with
the Joneses." This would then become an issue of faculty being tacitly
expected to work for no pay and would leave the institution open to lawsuits
for back wages.

Patrick Murray
Title V Director of Activities/Instructional Designer
Division of Developmental Studies
South Texas Community College
P.O. Box 9701
McAllen, TX 78502
ph. # 668-6445
fax # 668-6438

"Education is the progressive realization of one's own ignorance."
-- Anonymous