We had a similar problem campus wide.  Students are now permitted to print
100 pages each term without additional cost, then each sheet afterwards is
10 cents a sheet.  The count is controlled by our "all purpose campus
swipe card" so it doesn't matter where the printing is done, lab, library,
or tutoring center.  It all goes into the count.  We did have to go to a
software that controls the printers and feeds from the "ranger card."
I've forgotten what it is called but can look into it if need be.