Hello - Karen Bingham from Clarion University of PA  - I have had a lot
of success with a company called COMMUNICATION FITNESS. You can visit
their web site at www.comfit.com.  The cost is reasonable and billed
directly to the students - They buy a "license" at the bookstore with
their books.  They can log in initially, just by joining the group, but
when book buying is over, the bookstore (Comfit gives them a slight
kickback) sends them the list of licensees and then Comfit shuts down
the accounts of those who have not paid  - it was very reasonable
$15/student, which is much less than a book.  The Comfit site uses an
"athletic training" metaphor - so the students take initial assessment
test and are then assigned "workouts" in their "lockers," according to
how they did on the assessments.  There is also a site feature that
allows the submission of written work.  I can comment on line and the
student can view my comments and resubmit.  The site notifies me that
there has been a second submission.  I am very happy with the service I
have received, the response to problems when they have occurred (which
isn't often) and the site itself.

Zola Gordy wrote:

>I lead a learning center at a metropolitan community college in Kansas
City.  We are seeking software for students to use to supplement
classroom instruction for developmental English classes.  Specifically,
we need software to support the learning of grammar and mechanics.

>We realize that software is not a panacea, but we did see some
improvements when we piloted a SkillsTutor program.  I see that Plato
is another alternative, but with these web-based programs the costs
became prohibitive.  If you are aware of a program that offers support
of this nature, please let me know.

>Thanks,
>Zola Gordy, Coordinator
>Maple Woods Academic Achievement Center
>
>To unsubscribe,send a message to [log in to unmask]
>In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L
>
>To access LRNASST-L archives,point your web browser to
>
>To subscribe, send email to [log in to unmask]
>Leave subject blank.In body type: subscribe LRNASST-L
>
>To contact list owner,email [log in to unmask]

Karen Bingham-Coy,Assistant Professor
Academic Support Services
Clarion University of PA
814-393-1874 or 2249
Fall 2003 OFFICE HOURS:MW 10-11 in B-29
Campbell,(W noon in 111 Becht,T,R 11-12,
R 2:30-4:30

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L