We did a twist on the study guides. We mail forms to each professor
asking the following questions, then we put them in a binder in the LSC.
The point is to inform students how to study for each individual
professor. It is also extremely helpful for students as they register
for the next semester so they can have a realistic idea of how much will
be expected from each class. This Study Guide Binder is placed next to a
binder which contains a copy of a syllabus from each class. Our
professors are required to submit tow copies of their syllabi to the
administration each semester-I get one copy for this binder, the other
copy is for the office files. We also have a sample test bank, but it is
stored in my office where it is locked every night, students can look at
these, they can not make copies, and they can not leave my office. These
were stipulations which the professors asked for.

All of these resources are heavily utilized. We publicize them in the
FYE seminars, at Orientation, and spotlight them periodically in the
student newspaper. Students who take advantage of the resources have
expressed high satisfaction with the process.

I get free flashcard materials from our in-house print shop and/or from
a local printer. They are the left over ends of paper and cardstock. The
students love them and with our local economy, it is important to offer
freebies when possible. My insurance person donates highlighters with
her info on them for students who need highlighters, the local military
recruiters keep us supplied with pens and pencils. FYI, our area is low
income with a dying industrial base, and our campus is 100% commuters,
mostly adult learners who often don't have 69 cents for a highlighter.
These freebies have created a very high comfort rate for students to
come to the Centers then they keep coming. We serve between 85 to 95% of
the student body each semester in some form or another.

STUDY GUIDE TOPICS:
Specific study tips for this course
Specific instructional aids to assist he student in this course
Exam format
Weekly preparation for this course
What to do if you are having difficulty in this course

"To be loved, love."
Decimus Magnus Ausonius

Darlene J. Hartman
Coordinator of Learning Support Services
814/393-1341