I'm in reading, and I would hate to think that no one expected students to memorize the alphabet. As a tutor, I MUCH prefer memorized math facts to calculators for simple computation.    We have to KNOW the information before we can use the information.   Charlene

-----Original Message-----
From: Hacker, Theresa [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 2:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: flash cards

And I agree that the best thing would be the students making their own flash
cards.  The problem is: they won't.

When I provide Chemistry flash cards to my Chem SI students, they are very
impressed with them, because they look sharp.  But then they learn that they
will be using them in SI sessions.  The most fun that is had by all is when
they use them on ME! Which engages them in a whole new train of thought ("If
Teri can memorize this, then I guess it can be done") and they learn by
hearing.

This also addresses the problem of the students feeling childish about
having to use flash cards.  They learn that, regardless of how you feel
about them initially, they work.  I give them the cards for the ions, they
ask me for the cards about the other topics.

Sorry, but I know that my students' understanding of Chemistry has been
enhanced by making a good set of flash cards available to them.  End of soap
box.

Teri Hacker