We do quite well with our community college faculty serving as tutors in the learning center. We have tutors from the community, peer tutors, and faculty members.  This was a system in place when I began.  Initially, I thought it may be problematic for a number of reasons...some I have seen posted.  However, none of those issues have surfaced during the past eight years.

Each semester we have 3 credit hours provided to our accounting lab from the Accounting Department, 6 credit hours to our Writing Lab from the English Department, and 6 credit hours from the Math Department.  Each credit hours equates to 35 hours a semester.

Our tutors' working hours are posted, so if a student chooses not to work with his or her instructor, another tutor can be chosen.  Our learning center services have clear boundaries and our processes are accepted and embraced by the faculty who serve as tutors.

I believe these relationships also serve to connect the departments to learning center.  We are included in departmental events and the staff and tutors are appreciated by our instructors.  Perhaps this is the sense of community in a community college.

Zola Gordy, Coordinator
Maple Woods Academic Achievement Center
Kansas City, MO

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/18/03 03:02PM >>>
Craig,
There are two separate reasons.  The more serious concern is in writing
tutoring.  We don't think it's appropriate for an instructor to tutor a
student on a paper that the instructor grades and carries a substantial
amount of credit toward the course grade.  (This is not much of a concern in
math where the tutoring is usually on homework carrying a minimal amount of
course credit.)  First I think it would be very difficult for the
instructor/tutor to "guide" the student without giving away too much.  Even
if the instructor can walk the fine line between the two roles, there would
be a perception that if a student can make it to the tutoring center, the
instructor would "fix" the paper.  I think students unable to come in for
tutoring would see this as unfair.

Another concern involves all instruction and tutoring.  Instructors are
supposed to provide support to their students as part of their teaching
responsibilities.  Some schools set a number of office hours for this
function, maybe 2 or 3 per week.  However many schools, including this one,
do not specify exactly how much time to allot to this function.  So there is
some concern that busy adjunct instructors will abdicate their responsibility
for providing instructional support (connected with the teaching job) and
instead refer students to their separately compensated tutoring hours.

We are sensitive to both these concerns.  But we feel that as long as
instructors do not tutor their own students, there is no problem.

Kenneth W. Gattis
Director, Academic Services
118 Parker Building
Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences
Nova Southeastern University
3301 College Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida  33314
(954) 262-8403 or (800) 338-4723, ext. 8403