From: Fenlon, Julie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 10:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Advice for dealing with students who repeatedly withdraw from
cla ss

Dear Listers,

            Our college would like to design a policy to handle students
who repeatedly withdraw from classes. The problem is especially a
concern in developmental English and Math courses where it is not
uncommon for students to repeat a course 3-plus times. Teachers have
commented that these students negatively affect instruction and
classroom morale.

            With this little bit of background, here are my questions
for
you:

1.      Do you see this trend of students repeatedly withdrawing from
courses at your college? If so, in what ways do teachers say that these
students affect the quality of instruction and classroom morale?

2.      How has your college handled the problem of students who retake
courses?

3.      If your college has designed a policy to handle the problem,
could
you share the details of that policy?

4.      Could you suggest any resources that could guide our college as
we
design our policy?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Julie Fenlon