-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bell, Foster (Macon State
College)
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 1:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Printing controls for computer labs.

We are looking for effective means of controlling the amount of printing in
computer labs, especially the wasteful printing. As a part of our Academic
Resource Centers (ARC), we also manage the computer labs for general student
use on two of our campuses.  We do not charge students for printing, but ask
that they limit their printing to ten
pages per visit.   We have not found an effective way of controlling this
and it seems to be getting out of hand.  There is a tremendous amount of
printing that students never pick up that goes into the recycle bin.  Often
it appears a student needing one, or just a few pages from an internet
article will print many pages somewhat accidentally.

In light of tightening budget restraints, the departments are limiting the
amount of printing professors can do and the handouts they can provide
students.  More and more professors are sending students to the ARC not only
assignments from the internet, but often many pages from their lecture notes
and Powerpoint slide presentations.   Few students know how to print
multiple slides on one page.

Thanks for your solutions and suggestions

Foster Bell, Coordinator
Academic Resource Center
Macon State College
Macon, GA 31206-5145