On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Peter Simon wrote:
> We could have pseudo-Lombardi edges--curved in some fashion rather than dead
> straight.

Splines have been extensively studied and used in the computer graphics field.
That would be my recommendation for a starting point, as it were.

For instance, Google also turned up this fairly quickly.
http://www.research.att.com/areas/visualization/papers_videos/ofullindex.html
"Path Router (MPG - 4.3 MB)
"Illustrates a technique for routing a smooth curve between two points while
avoiding intervening objects. The technique and its related aesthetics were
designed for drawing edges of graphs."

Jim