From: Jun Zhang [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 3:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social capital and social networks?

 Valdis,
I don't agree with you. Even Google can usually give us good results, I
still think the best resource for social network knowledge is "SOCNET" email
list -- which NETWORKED most of well known social network
researchers...that's also how we increase the social capital of SOCNET,
isn't it (If I don't misunderstand the meaning of social capital).

Of course, there will be a lot of negative issues we need to address, such
as "elite members" might want to quit because of they are tired of answering
too much simple questions. However, helping new comers who just start their
research on SNA is also one purpose of this list and many old members are
happy to do that, isn't it?

Actually, one topic I always interesting in is that how we could use Social
Network to help people share/find information. For people in academic,
sometimes it is really important to find the right people who do related
research in this area instead of a pdf file URL from Google. From the author
of PDF to find that person is one solution, finding that people directly
from something like "SOCNET" is another. While Google is good at 1st. SOCNET
is good at 2nd.

So, while some people already complained that we rely too much on Google
these days, should we kill the 2nd options - which is emphasis the
importance of "Social Network" ourselves?

Just my 2 cents,

Best Regards,

Jun