An earlier posting on this noted that social software only uses a small
proportion of the tools of social network analysis.

Hmmm..Maybe its becuase of a lack of imagination or the difficulty in
packaging some of our tools to the general audience. For example, it seems
that on friendster there is a general strategy to simple accrue the most
ties without concern for the network structure itself. This of course, is a
partly the function of the affordances of the technology and partly the
function of people's understanding of SNA (either explicitly or
intuitively).

So, I was just wondering what sorts of theories people would have about the
consequences of using measures other than path length. Would people start
competing to be the most central (using whatever measure, such as
betweenness), or the most embedded? Would people start becoming social
capital junkies or complete instrumentalists? How about managers firing
someone so that he/she would become a structural hole?

Any thoughts?
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
Ph.D. Student
Department of Sociology
NetLab, Knowledge Meida Design Institute
University of Toronto
http://edublog.com/hogan/