Article adresses network dynamics in Iraq war...

'What we are looking at,' one UK official told The Observer, 'is not some monolithic organisation with a clear command. That would be far easier for us to deal with and get into. Instead, we are looking at lots of different groups with different agendas. They are locally organised with each having its loyalty focused on middle-ranking former commanders.'

What he describes is a network of partisan-type groups without a central command and links between them based on personal relationships - an organic rather than monolithic structure.

The groups' communications - based, say Iraqis, on couriers, often teenage boys, to carry messages - have been equally difficult for the coalition to penetrate.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1075980,00.html

Valdis