The fact that the random networks are composed of many isolates is an
interesting fact in itself. If re-iterated many times, one could get the
likelihood that, given the number of nodes and links observed in the
real-world network, all nodes are connected in one giant cluster. If it is
unlikely (observed once or twice over 100-1000 re-iterations or whatever
level of significance one wants to choose) this tells us a lot about the
real-world network: it is most likely not based on a random attachment
mechanism.

best,
david

David Lusseau
Postdoctoral fellow

University of Aberdeen
Department of Zoology
Lighthouse Field Station
George St
Cromarty
Ross-shire IV11 8YJ
Scotland

Tel/Fax: 44 (0) 1381 600 548

Lighthouse Field Station (University of Aberdeen):
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi519/lighthse/index.hti

New Zealand Whale and Dolphin Trust:
http://nzwhaledolphintrust.tripod.com/home/

Marine Mammal Research Group (University of Otago):
http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/mammals/home.htm

Fiordland Research (University of Otago)
http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/fiords/home.htm