I think most people enjoy helping others who help themselves... I know I do.  A question like "I am interested in X, and have already read A, B, and C -- what else is recommended?"  would bring many positive responses from members of this list.

Another great source for network newbies is the INSNA web site.  Bill Richards has set up some great pages of links [by topic].  Guess what?  He even has a page of SocCap links!
-- http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/INSNA/Hot/soc_cap.htm

I enjoy answering beginner's questions, as do others on this list, I just don't like 'lazy questions'.

Valdis