From: "Valdis Krebs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Jun Zhang" <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: Social capital and social networks?

> I think most people enjoy helping others who help themselves... I know I
do.  A question like "I am interested in X, and have already read A, B, and
C -- what else is recommended?"  would bring many positive responses from
members of this list.

> Another great source for network newbies is the INSNA web site.  Bill
Richards has set up some great pages of links [by topic].  Guess what?  He
even has a page of SocCap links!
> -- http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/INSNA/Hot/soc_cap.htm
>
> I enjoy answering beginner's questions, as do others on this list, I just
don't like 'lazy questions'.

> Valdis
>

> ---- Jun Zhang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/  *****
> >
> >  Valdis,
> > I don't agree with you. Even Google can usually give us good results, I
> > still think the best resource for social network knowledge is "SOCNET"
email
> > list -- which NETWORKED most of well known social network
> > researchers...that's also how we increase the social capital of SOCNET,
> > isn't it (If I don't misunderstand the meaning of social capital).
> >
> > Of course, there will be a lot of negative issues we need to address,
such
> > as "elite members" might want to quit because of they are tired of
answering
> > too much simple questions. However, helping new comers who just start
their
> > research on SNA is also one purpose of this list and many old members
are
> > happy to do that, isn't it?
> >
> > Actually, one topic I always interesting in is that how we could use
Social
> > Network to help people share/find information. For people in academic,
> > sometimes it is really important to find the right people who do related
> > research in this area instead of a pdf file URL from Google. From the
author
> > of PDF to find that person is one solution, finding that people directly
> > from something like "SOCNET" is another. While Google is good at 1st.
SOCNET
> > is good at 2nd.
> >
> > So, while some people already complained that we rely too much on Google
> > these days, should we kill the 2nd options - which is emphasis the
> > importance of "Social Network" ourselves?
> >
> > Just my 2 cents,
> >

> > Best Regards,
> >

> > Jun

Google!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=social+capital+networ

> > > Read the first PDF Google finds.  Next, look up PageRank on Google to
know
> > why the first PDF Google found is a good suggestion.
> > >
> > > Valdis

literature