I think we really agree on most everything.  The only difference is that I see a distinction between a 'newbie' and a 'lazy newbie'[do my research for me], and you may not.

Over the years and many clients, I have seen the pluses and minuses of knowledge sharing/acquisition from both the perspective of the seeker and the expert.  One of the lessons I learned is that the seeker must do some homework before engaging the expert.  An expert appreciates the effort, thus creating more trust and engagement[usually] -- even if the seeker ran into many dead ends and did not get far.  And through this initial effort, the seeker is usually smarter and can therefore ask better questions. [Coming full circle to the original question -- trust and engagement are components of social capital.]

Rob Cross has some great writings on engaging experts.  This one is a good place to start...
http://www-1.ibm.com/services/files/ibv_trustandknow.pdf

Valdis