  This, recently off the press, should be of interest to socnetters.  The full
article has further comments about the subjects that I didn't think would be as
relevant as those included below.  You shouldn't fail to notice the social
network action in this piece.

Eugene Johnsen, Department of Mathematics
University of California, Santa Barbara

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  The following are excerpts from an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune of
Tuesday, November 25, 2003 entitled "They're Oxford Bound" by Mary Jane
Smetanka, Star Tribune Staff Writer.

  "Rhodes scholars are 'those' people.  You know, superbright, incredibly
articulate, impossibly well-rounded..  Not like Decker Walker Jr. of
St. Olaf College, a math and economics major who plays football, or Allison
Gilmore of Eagan, who is a math major at Washington University in St. Louis.
  Or so they both thought.
  Walker and Gilmore were named 2004 Rhodes Scholars this weekend.  On Monday,
both were still incredulous that next fall they will enter Oxford University
for up to three years.  Both were talked into applying by other Rhodes
Scholars.  They are two of the 32 American Rhodes Scholars for 2004.
  While they both say they're shocked at their selection, their resumes tell
another story.  Gilmore, 22, who graduated from Eastview High School in Apple
Valley, was in a University of Minnesota math program for talented youth and
said a "U" professor first sparked her interest in topology, the geometric
study of spaces.  She studied knot theory - yes, that's the mathematical study
of knots - in a summer program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
At Washington, she is getting both a bachelor's and a master's degree in
mathematics.
  Gilmore will emphasize social science at Oxford.  While interviewers who
screened her for the scholarship questioned why she would take an apparent turn
in her studies by focusing on sociology rather than math, she said she is
interested in social network theory, which involves both sociology and math.
  "It's the perfect culmination of all my different interests in social and
political movements, as an activist, and it brings in the math I love," Gilmore
said, "When I found this field I couldn't believe it -- it was like somebody
made it for me."
  She hopes someday to be a math professor who does work with sociologists.
  ....."