I meant to include this in my last post.  A few of you may find this interesting...

Here in northeast Nassau County, we still have Roseate Spoonbills hanging out locally.  The location is at the end of a "gated" community called Oyster Bay which is at the end of Barnwell Road in the town of O'Neil. The end of the neighborhood contains a fairly large wader roost which is supposedly active all year.  The area is surrounded by the saltmarsh between the mainland and Amelia Island.  Not only does this unique "climate zone" contain birds, but it is also home to an assortment of healthy tropical ornamental plants that should not be growing in Northeast Florida.  Lately the roost has only contained 2-4 SPOONBILLS.  The Spoonbills are present during the midday hours as well as around dusk.  On December 3rd I witnessed 20 ROSEATE SPOONBILLS resting in this roost around dusk.  The same event took place the next evening as well.  There are also a lot of Wood Storks and a plethora of (mostly juvenile) White Ibis.  There is also a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS currently nest!
 ing in an
 old Osprey nest in close proximity to the roost.  Is anyone else seeing overwintering Spoonbills in north or north-central Florida?

Good birding.

Justin Rink
Amelia Island USDA zn. 9A
Fernandina Beach, Nassau Co.