This morning (27 Deceember) the Broad-billed Hummingbird was seen several
times between 7.35 and 9.35 in Gainesville (directions below) by a mixed
milling small swarm of birders. It made brief visits to the feeder and
foraged in the small oaks near the street.

I got some much better photos and will post them somewhere soon (if you're
desparate I will send them to you privately).  One of them shows an inkling
a red at the base of the lower mandible (diagnostic for broad-billed).
Also the bird called a few times (the diagnostic Kinglet chee chee che-dit
etc.).  It is molting its inner primaries.

Remember the very kind homeowner has requested that no one visit tomorrow
(sunday the 28th).

"The homeowner asks not to be disturbed. The feeder is hanging from the
eavesat the front of the house and is in clear view of the street. Please
remain
near the street and do not approach the house. Do not block driveways.

"Directions: Exit I-75 at SR-26(Newberry Road) and go east. You will pass
the Oaks Mall on your right. Not long after you've passed the mall, turn
left onto
NW60th Street (traffic light). Take your first right, which is NW13th Place,
and then turn right again on NW 58nd Terrace and stop at the second house on
your right. Again, please respect the homeowner's wishes and stay near the
street.

Andy Kratter
Andrew W. Kratter
Collections Manager, Ornithology