Hi,
   This afternoon, while returning home from some shopping, I spotted a
clear breasted raptor perched in a pine tree on the opposite side of
the road. I made a quick U-turn and had 10 minutes of great views of a
juvenile Short-tailed Hawk bathed in the golden glow of today's setting
sun. The throat, breast and belly were white. The bird had dark malars
with a few thin brown streaks that extended down the sides a short
distance and then a few faint, tan spots along the outer sides of the
belly. The bird never did fly and I saw no reason to try making him,
though I would have liked to see the under side of his wings. The bird
was seen on the north side of Beville Road (SR 400) approx. 1.7 miles
east of I-95, here in Daytona Beach.

   I said "possible" in the subject line because after taking both of
Jeff Bouton's Raptor ID classes at last month's excellent Space Coast
Birding & Wildlife Festival, I'm a bit more cautious about being so
certain about things.

David Hartgrove
Daytona Beach