Location: 58th Place, Gainesville, Florida
Date: 26 December 2003
Time: 12:30-13:15
Conditions: Partly cloudy. Feeder in shade.
Distance: about 30'

Bird #1
ID: probable CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD.
Side view at 20x.
Size of Ruby-throated Hummingbird or slightly smaller.
Small dark spot in lower center of throat.
Slightly buffy flanks.
Short tail.
SPECIAL NOTE: Put this bird down as a Ruby-throat at the time (the homeowner
having reported an imm. fem. RTHU), but thought it didn't look quite right -
almost like an intermediate between an imm. male RTHU and an imm.
Selasphorus.

Bird #2
ID: probable BROAD-BILLED HUMMINGBIRD.
Rear/rear-quarter view at 30x.
Larger than Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
Grayish appearance to green areas.
Distinct white stripe/spot behind eye.
Longish tail, very slightly forked.

-S.P.McCool
Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
http://www.swamphen.net/
USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9