In a message dated 11/28/2003 3:12:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I was studying up on gannets etc. using Sibley's book.  It is mentioned
> that Brown Boobies will occasionally use very shallow angle plunges.  Does
> this mean that gannets NEVER use such plunges?  Maybe someone on the east
> coast who sees a lot of gannets can shed some light.
>
> Thanks, and have fun,
>
> Tom Curtis

Hi everybody,
Been looking at some older email-in reply to Tom's question-an adult Gannet
dives straight down, but the brown jobbies, the immatures dive in at a 45
degree angle.  Saw a lot off the coast of Massachusetts (sigh) not so fortunate
down here on the West Coast of Florida.

Have fun out there,
Marie
Marie Gonsalo