Thanks to all who've emailed me back-channel about the "pure" Mallards seen
fairly reliably at St. Marks NWR.

Re Noel's post about Mottled ducks with curled upper-tail coverts being male
hybrids rather than female hybrids. A revelation! I've been wondering why
there were flocks of say 8 ducks with say two that appear to be drake
Mallard hybrids, two female Mallards and four others that appear to be
Mottled ducks with varying lighter and darker bill colors but for example
two have curled upper-tail coverts. Always more to learn....

Marianne Korosy
Palm Harbor, FL