Hi all,

On Sunday, 12/14, I joined Erik Haney, Steve Backus, David Powell, & Brian Ahern for the Alafia Banks CBC. Here are a few interesting tidbits about our day in the field:

1. The weather was so bad, that even though we were in the field before 6:30 AM, we did not see or hear a single passerine until 8:27 (yes, we had a pool going to see when we would actually get our first - I picked 8:30) AM, when I finally "pished" up a very wet Northern Mockingbird. This must be a dubious record for any Florida CBC.
2. David Powell forgot his binoculars and had to leave us to go back home and get them. Come on now, who hasn't done this before? Come on, 'fess up!
3. My poncho was doing a pretty good job of keeping me dry in the monsoon until a passing "local" vehicle sent a tidal wave up my pants as I stood on the side of the road.
4. After the weather improved, we found 9 Baltimore Orioles in the span of about an hour. That's gotta be some kind of record also!
5. A Lark Sparrow sat up on the phone lines twice for all of us to get killer looks. Why don't all sparrows realize that they are worth looking at?
6. We had an Orange-crowned Warbler well before we ever saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Oh don't we wish this was true all the time!
7. We had both Indigo & Painted Bunting in our party. While this happens I believe with some frequency on Florida's east coast, it's only the second time I can ever remember it happening in our party on the west coast
Overall, a great start to the CBC Season. Good birding to all, and may all your counts break 150!

--
David Goodwin
St. Petersburg