Hi all,
The bird identified as a first year female Broad-billed Hummingbird was present Tuesday AM in Gainesville. Dave Goodwin, Erik Haney, & Wes Biggs joined Doug and Lillian from Tampa across the street from the house to watch the feeder. We arrived at 8:15 - at 8:20, a female Ruby-throated showed up at the feeder briefly, then made several trips to the shrimp plants in the yard across the street (directly behind us). At 9:00 AM, the bird in question made a brief stop at the feeder, then zoomed away. Lillian discovered it a few minutes later perched at the top of one of the slender oaks in the yard with the feeder. We watched with our scopes for 4-5 minutes while the bird sat still. Doug got off some fair shots, but the distance was a problem for good pics. The bird finally split as did we -Erik had to be back in St. Pete to go to work. John Hintimister's description was right on. We understand that pretty good photos of the bird were taken saturday or Sunday. If you go, please remember to stay out of the yard - you can see the feeder fine.-- David GoodwinSt. [log in to unmask]"Quick Hoatzin, the game's afoot!"