All,

I just received the following note through the Charlotte County Nature Alerts line from Paul Holmes:

"The female Common Meganser was at the Bal Harbor/Aqui Esta pond again tonight.
Between 4:00 and 4:30 John Winter from Fort Myers and myself had good looks through a scope.
The clear cut mark where the color changes was visable, as was the darker head.

Paul Holmes."

To reach the ponds from I-75 exit at old exit 29 (immediately south of the Peace River) and head west on 17 to 41. Head south on 41 until you reach the light at Aqui Esta. Take a right here and continue to the intersection of Bal Harbor. The pond is behind the small shopping plaza at the SW side of the intersection. In the evenings, hundreds (thousand at times) of Hooded Mergs descend on this pond. She wasn't seen the night prior, but birds were still winging in after it was too dark to see. She may have been late returning. Who knows?

Good Birding all,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL