On Saturday's St. Marks CBC a team of observers and innocent bystanders were awed with an incredible Tree Swallow Tornado.  Ed Woodruff and I witnessed part of the group lifting off at dawn, but the real spectacle was reserved for sundown.  The whirling mass of birds was stunning, and we estimated the group to be between 200,000 and 500,000 individuals!  If someone would like to try to get a better estimate of the birds, I would appreciate it having a more accurate number to submit.  The gathering was easily found by parking at the "double dikes" next to Stony Bayou Pool 1 on the refuge and looking west.

The Common Goldeneye was present Friday afternoon, and I was able to confirm a brownish color for the head and a white ring around the neck that was hard to see because of the bird's posture.  It was not present today, Tuesday at around 4:30.

On Friday, one of my students identified a Wood Stork flying over our campus just before school began.

Rob Lengacher
Tallahassee, FL