I did the Daytona CBC on Saturday and found a female hummer.  I heard it vocalizing before I saw it and immediately thought ruby-throat, as it was making a ruby-throat's characteristic chatter.  The bird then perched right in front of me and appeared to have rufous flanks.  However, it was somewhat backlit.  I am comfortable calling it a RTHU based on its chatter, but the possible rufous flanks bother me.  I did not see any rufous in the tail, and got a good look at it when she spread it wide.  Another team member also thinks that there were rufous flanks on the bird, but since she was next to me, the light conditions were the same.

Is anyone familiar with hummingbird chattering to make a comparison between RTHU's and other species?  The bird was quite vocal, as agitated RTHU's tend to be, but since my experiences with other hummers are limited, I don't have much to compare it to.  This bird sounded exactly like a RTHU, but do other species sound so similar that chatter is not useful for id'ing to species?

Michael Meisenburg
Archer, FL