You might check out, i think it was three, special issues of the Journal of
Mathematical Sociology that look at network evolution (i think the first
was in 2000, the second in 2001, and the third in 2002).

For what it's worth, my contribution, (The Co-evolution of Individual and
Network, Journal of Mathematical Sociology, January 2001, 69-108. ), which
talks about network "elasticity" and node "elasticity" might be on
particularly on point, and is available at:

http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/davidlazer/final%20math%20soc%20paper.pdf

Also, more recently, see the proceedings of a recent NAS panel on the
subject:

Dynamic Social Network Modelling and Analysis: Workshop Summary and Papers
Edited by Ronald Breiger, Kathleen Carley and Philippa Pattison
Washington: The National Academies Press.

This is available on line, in a fashion, at

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10735.html

best,

david