The PTO unfortunately does grant patents without complete searches or
knowledge of prior art, and perhaps one of their operating principles is
that disputes can then be battled in court.  However that is costly and
strongly biased in favor of corporations with lots of money.  One action
that can be taken to help in this regard, and which is much easier than
filing patents (which I agree that INSNA should also seriously consider),
is to create an invention disclosure that documents the idea and the date
of invention, since US patents are based upon date of invention rather than
date of filing (as in Japan and elsewhere).  I attach an example of an
invention disclosure (please feel free to use the form). The form should be
signed and dated on each page by at least one and preferably several
witnesses who are not relatives (pick younger people so they will,
statistically, be around longer!).

Allen

=======================================

Allen Y. Tien, MD, MHS