The PTO unfortunately does grant patents without complete searches or knowledge of prior art, and perhaps one of their operating principles is that disputes can then be battled in court.  However that is costly and strongly biased in favor of corporations with lots of money.  One action that can be taken to help in this regard, and which is much easier than filing patents (which I agree that INSNA should also seriously consider), is to create an invention disclosure that documents the idea and the date of invention, since US patents are based upon date of invention rather than date of filing (as in Japan and elsewhere).  I attach an example of an invention disclosure (please feel free to use the form). The form should be signed and dated on each page by at least one and preferably several witnesses who are not relatives (pick younger people so they will, statistically, be around longer!).

Allen

=======================================

Allen Y. Tien, MD, MHS
President and Research Director