Thanks, everyone, for the generous outpouring of expertise in response
to my question.  I've attached here a summary of sources for network
instruments.  It includes papers, actual samples of questionnaires and
some excellent references on work being done on the networks of R&D
scientists.  I've also submitted this for the INSNA Network FAQs, so we
can refer to it easily any time someone has a similar question.

Jean