Dear all,

My name is Lisa Peters, I am a PhD student at the University of Amsterdam, department of Political Science.
I am doing research on the social capital of ethnic groups in Amsterdam and Berlin and the relationship between social capital and the political participation of these ethnic groups. In my research group, we operationalise social capital by the network of self-organizations, with measures as density and clustering.

In my research I want to refine the theory of Fennema and Tillie (1999), that explains the relationship stated above, on a number of levels. To do so, I want to design some experiments. My question to you is:

Does anybody know of experiments concerning networks and social capital? (Possibly in combination with the small world phenomenon.)

Another question I would like to ask is:

Do you know of any publications that address what for and how people use their social capital/ network?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa Peters

Fennema, M. & Tillie, J. (1999) Political participation and political trust in Amsterdam: civic communities and ethnic networks. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 25 (4), 703-726.

drs. Lisa Peters
Ph.D. Student
University of Amsterdam
Department of Political Science/ IMES