Saundra,

I too have been thinking of this idea for some time now. However our board
of trustees is not likely to approve such a fee. Please post the replies
you get to the listserv as I am very interested. One point to consider, if
you charge a nominal fee per FTE, more students might expect to have access
to the services, which according to my calculations would far outweigh the
amount of money I would collect via the fee and therefore defeat the
purpose of "growing" my operating budget.

Thanks,

 Roberta Schotka
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax

                      Saundra Y
                      McGuire                  To:      [log in to unmask]
                      <[log in to unmask]         cc:
                      >                        Subject: Paying for Learning Center through Student
                      Sent by: Open            Assessment
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      <LRNASST-L@LISTS
                      .UFL.EDU>

                      01/13/2004 07:26
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to Open Forum
                      for Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

Happy New Year Everyone!

       As with most support services, obtaining continued funding for our
center at LSU is a struggle.  I've floated the idea of having the students
assess themselves a nominal fee (in the range of $3 - $7) to pay for the
services.   I've been asked if there are other universities that use
student fees to pay for this.  Does anyone know of other universities who
levy a fee to pay for academic support services?  Do you know how much the
fee is?

       Another option would be to charge students who use the services, but
I'd rather not go this route if we can just have each student pay a fee.

Have a great semester,
Saundra

Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Academic Success