We have a large ESL population.  One of the greatest needs is for
writing assistance.  Be sure that you have plenty of patient writing
tutors on hand.  Also, train them to be tutors and not editors.  It may
be a temptation for some tutors to just "fix" papers for ESL students;
what they need is consistent teaching in how to become good independent
writers themselves.  Also, the culture the students come from may effect
their attitudes toward you.  While some cultures are extremely
respectful, gracious and appreciative of any help you give, others may
come across as demanding and impatient.  But then that's not unlike the
variety we see in all students is it?  Eventually, some of these
students may become some of your best tutors so developing a good
relationship now may reap big benefits for your program later.  Enjoy!
Patti Favorite
Academic Support Coordinator
Franklin University
Columbus, OH

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/28/04 03:09PM >>>
I have been asked to offer academic support to a small group of
exchange students who are enrolled in regular classes on our campus. Do
any of you have experience/insight about this population? ...their
academic needs? ...words of wisdom/caution?

Thanks-

Jan Taylor
Maryville College Learning Center
Maryville, TN