Just though I would come out from behind my paperwork and address this one.

Instead of charging a fee or tacking on a fee to student fees, etc., why not ask the student government to pay the salaries of the student tutors?  After all, the funding that the student government acquires is from the students themselves.  Years ago, we did this at the university that I was working at, and the condition was that the funding received from student government could be used to pay only the tutors' salaries and not for anything else (e.g., equipment, etc.)  Any monies that were left over, I returned to them at the end of the year (my idea).  Although returning $$ was somewhat unheard of at the time, it created trust between the ASG and our program and set precedent for a great working relationship.

-- Karin Winnard

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Guillermo Uribe
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Paying for Learning Center through Student Assessment

We had to start a 25.00 fee for unlimited access to our tutoring room. This
fee produced a 21% drop in the number of individual customers but increased
the number of visits per customer and the average duration of each visit.
None of this is surprising. We expect the numbers to turn around as
students get used to the idea of paying for this service.

All of our other student support services (study skills, individual
consultations, presentations, etc.) continue to be free for now.

At 12:01 AM 1/14/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:    Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:26:29 -0600
>From:    Saundra Y McGuire <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Paying for Learning Center through Student Assessment
>
>Happy New Year Everyone!
>
>        As with most support services, obtaining continued funding for our
>center at LSU is a struggle.  I've floated the idea of having the students
>assess themselves a nominal fee (in the range of $3 - $7) to pay for the
>services.   I've been asked if there are other universities that use
>student fees to pay for this.  Does anyone know of other universities who
>levy a fee to pay for academic support services?  Do you know how much the
>fee is?
>
>        Another option would be to charge students who use the services, but
>I'd rather not go this route if we can just have each student pay a fee.
>

>Have a great semester,
>Saundra

Guillermo Uribe Ph.D.
Director, University Learning Center
1200 E. University Blvd. - Old Main Rm 202
Tucson AZ 85721-0021
520.621.4548

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L