This sounds great! Can you send me information on how to apply for the grant, etc.
Patti Favorite
Frankliln University TLC
Columbus, OH

Patti Favorite
Academic Support Coordinator
Teaching and Learning Center

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/15/04 10:15AM >>>
I agree with Jeremy about Premier. After a cassette-based recording
program failed miserably, I received Premier's software in Fall 2002 as
part of the same grant. Since then, I have used the same trial version
of the Text-to-Audio program to convert textbooks to audio format for
students with vision and print-related disabilities.

Simply scan the pages into a Word document (or request e-text from the
publisher), make minor corrections (like periods after headings so the
reader will pause), then click a button and the program converts the
material into mp3. I then burn the mp3's onto CD-ROM for the student. I
use the program with AT&T Natural Voices, which all came with the grant
package. My students prefer Mike over Crystal, but both are very usable
even for Biology phylum and species.

The best part of the grant program is that I can load it on every
computer in the lab (or on the campus) without additional licenses.
Using other programs in the package, my students can listen to their
essays read aloud as the words are highlighted on the screen. It has
been a great resource for students with poor reading comprehension.

Let me know if you need more info. I would be glad to pass along what
I've learned.

Kelly A. Norton
Director, Academic Services Center
High Point University