I like to use the words "learning strategies."  After all, learning is the goal.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/04 08:25AM >>>
Yes we have seen that. In one program we have, we renamed study skills as
"Fundamental Learning Competencies" (fancy huh?) and explain that they are
intended to provide a basis for lifelong learning (another popular phrase.)

This program identifies students who might be struggling in a General
Education Freshman class and invite them to participate in a program that
will help them pass the class and improve on some of these fundamental
learning competencies. Students who participate recover well enough during
the term to not only pass the class, but to score decent grades (C or better).

At 12:03 AM 1/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Date:    Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:41:46 -0800
>From:    "Gutierrez, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FW: Get Rid of Study Skills!
>
>  ... I discovered that when students hear the words "study skills" they
>immediately roll the eyes, get a very bored look, and groan very loudly.
>However, when I used "test taking strategies" or "improving test
>preparation" or other similar terms, they became interested and
>attentive.  When I talked about personalizing these to their own styles
>of learning, that really made them want to know more.
>=20
>I have asked my staff to remove "study skills" from their vocabulary,
>and we are going to try to take it off of all literature.  It will be
>interesting to see how it goes!  Has anyone had any similar experiences?
>=20
>Kathy Gutierrez

Guillermo Uribe Ph.D.
Director, University Learning Center
1200 E. University Blvd. - Old Main Rm 202
Tucson AZ 85721-0021
520.621.4548

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L