From: Schulz, Karyn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 2:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Early Alert & INtervention at CCBC

Hi folks,

I've been inundated with requests so therefore I'll post my message to =
the list...if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact
=
me for further information.

We originally used the N-L Student Satisfaction Survey to obtain the =
results we felt we needed to really put together a worthy retention =
plan. The students indicated, strongly, that they felt they were not =
aware early enough of their progress or lack of.  Even though we tell =
students they are ultimately responsible for their learning (which =
includes learning about their progress!), we decided to create an Early
=
Alert & Intervention program.=20
During the fall '01 semester, a number of folks across the college (we =
are a 3 campus system) met as small groups to discuss the ins and outs =
of such a program. Best practices were collected from other schools (not
=
too many) and we used these ideas as a template for our own.  I was =
ready to implement the program this fall but the administration wanted =
to do a pilot of the program in spring '02! That gave us 6 weeks, or so,
=
to pull together volunteer faculty, administration and support staff to
=
create the following:
*       An Early Alert Roster
*       The Early Alert Access Database
*       Paperwork needed to maintain contact
*       Designate separate campus coordinators
*       Obtain volunteer faculty
*       Train faculty=20

Well, we did it and it went off with minimal problems. I must say I am =
working with some awesome people!
Basically, our Early Alert & Intervention Program consists of the =
following steps:
1.      Faculty are recruited by each campus coordinator to participate
using =
at least one section of the courses they teach.
2.      Faculty provide to their campus coordinator the specific course
=
registration number (CRN) to be entered into our database.
3.      By the end of the 3rd week, the Early Alert Rosters are sent to
the =
faculty members by the campus coordinators. The faculty complete the =
rosters by selecting whether the students are unsatisfactory, =
satisfactory or non applicable for 3 areas: Attendance, Graded =
Assignments and Homework. The faculty have been given the discretion of
=
deciding how to interpret the graded assignments and homework.
4.      The rosters are returned to Records & Registration where the =
information is entered into the student information system (BANNER). =
This information is then transferred into the database. =20
5.      At this point, faculty are expected to contact those students
who =
they felt were unsatisfactory in one or more of the three categories on
=
the roster.  They are to make a face to face contact if possible. If =
they cannot make a face to face contact the database has a series of =
options for contact (email, phone, letter, etc).=20
6.      Faculty enter their contact info into the database for each
student =
they contact. The database has the names of those students who received
=
U's in their courses and the faculty member by logging into the database
=
can access their course only. The database is a series of pull-down =
menus that the faculty can select the type of contact, the referrals =
they may make to the student depending on the problem discussed and it =
has room for typed comments..
7.      The campus coordinators can generate 2 reports from the database
=
early on that indicate which students have a U in one class only and a =
report that indicates if they are receiving a U in more than one class.
=
The second report is sent to the counseling/advising center. This helps
=
track these students who will probably be referred to this area. The =
campus coordinator will work closely with the campus resources that may
=
be of importance for the students to insure they "get there."
8.      At the end of the 5th  week, a letter written by our Dean's of =
Learning & Student Development are mailed to the students in the =
database. This letter indicates that they want to extend their support =
in the students academic success. (This letter generated a lot of =
9.      Faculty are expected to maintain contact with the students
during the =
semester and continue to enter contact info into the database.
10.     At the end of the semester, faculty complete a survey that
requests =
information regarding their participation in the program.
11.     Students complete a survey as well at the end of the semester
that =
asks for information regarding their perceptions about the course, the =
faculty, the resources and their progress.

Overall, the program went well considering the timeline we were up =
against.  We are moving forward this semester with more faculty and a =
focus on developmental courses. =20
My number here is (410) 285-9455 if you have any other questions. I hope
=
I did not leave anything out!
Karyn Schulz
Coordinator of Learning Assistance