Hi folks,

I've been inundated with requests so therefore I'll post my message to the list...if anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me for further information.

We originally used the N-L Student Satisfaction Survey to obtain the results we felt we needed to really put together a worthy retention plan. The students indicated, strongly, that they felt they were not aware early enough of their progress or lack of.  Even though we tell students they are ultimately responsible for their learning (which includes learning about their progress!), we decided to create an Early Alert & Intervention program.
During the fall '01 semester, a number of folks across the college (we are a 3 campus system) met as small groups to discuss the ins and outs of such a program. Best practices were collected from other schools (not too many) and we used these ideas as a template for our own.  I was ready to implement the program this fall but the administration wanted to do a pilot of the program in spring '02! That gave us 6 weeks, or so, to pull together volunteer faculty, administration and support staff to create the following:
*       An Early Alert Roster
*       The Early Alert Access Database
*       Paperwork needed to maintain contact
*       Designate separate campus coordinators
*       Obtain volunteer faculty
*       Train faculty

Well, we did it and it went off with minimal problems. I must say I am working with some awesome people!
Basically, our Early Alert & Intervention Program consists of the following steps:
1.      Faculty are recruited by each campus coordinator to participate using at least one section of the courses they teach.
2.      Faculty provide to their campus coordinator the specific course registration number (CRN) to be entered into our database.
3.      By the end of the 3rd week, the Early Alert Rosters are sent to the faculty members by the campus coordinators. The faculty complete the rosters by selecting whether the students are unsatisfactory, satisfactory or non applicable for 3 areas: Attendance, Graded Assignments and Homework. The faculty have been given the discretion of deciding how to interpret the graded assignments and homework.
4.      The rosters are returned to Records & Registration where the information is entered into the student information system (BANNER). This information is then transferred into the database.
5.      At this point, faculty are expected to contact those students who they felt were unsatisfactory in one or more of the three categories on the roster.  They are to make a face to face contact if possible. If they cannot make a face to face contact the database has a series of options for contact (email, phone, letter, etc).
6.      Faculty enter their contact info into the database for each student they contact. The database has the names of those students who received U's in their courses and the faculty member by logging into the database can access their course only. The database is a series of pull-down menus that the faculty can select the type of contact, the referrals they may make to the student depending on the problem discussed and it has room for typed comments..
7.      The campus coordinators can generate 2 reports from the database early on that indicate which students have a U in one class only and a report that indicates if they are receiving a U in more than one class. The second report is sent to the counseling/advising center. This helps track these students who will probably be referred to this area. The campus coordinator will work closely with the campus resources that may be of importance for the students to insure they "get there."
8.      At the end of the 5th  week, a letter written by our Dean's of Learning & Student Development are mailed to the students in the database. This letter indicates that they want to extend their support in the students academic success. (This letter generated a lot of responses by the students).
9.      Faculty are expected to maintain contact with the students during the semester and continue to enter contact info into the database.
10.     At the end of the semester, faculty complete a survey that requests information regarding their participation in the program.
11.     Students complete a survey as well at the end of the semester that asks for information regarding their perceptions about the course, the faculty, the resources and their progress.

Overall, the program went well considering the timeline we were up against.  We are moving forward this semester with more faculty and a focus on developmental courses.
My number here is (410) 285-9455 if you have any other questions. I hope I did not leave anything out!
Karyn Schulz
Coordinator of Learning Assistance
Title 3
CCBC Dundalk