while most public opinion research in political science doesn't really
engage social network ideas, there has been a healthy vein of research by
Robert Huckfeldt and John Sprague and others over the last 25 years in the
top pol. sci. journals that follows in the footsteps of the early Columbia
studies.  some of this research is explicitly networky (i.e., where dyadic
relationships are a key conceptual building block), some of it more of a
sibling or cousin of sna (e.g., looking at the impact of social context--
say aggregates of some surrounding neighborhood-- on individual voting
behavior).

david