Xav,

IQV was invented by Karl Schuessler. Here's my 30+ year old reference:

Mueller, John, Karl Schuessler and Herbert Costner. 1970. Statistical
Reasoning in Sociology. 2nd ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. It's a stats
textbook that Karl co-wrote. There may be other, more focused sources.

I use IQV all the time for categorical diversity in Ego Nets (e.g.,
Kin/Friend/Neighbor/Coworker) and no one has ever criticized me, and I
give the above book as the reference. Also, Schuessler's reasoning
expressed in the textbook appears to me to be quite sensible. And Peter
Marsden, whom you say also uses it, is usually a reliable source;-)

For continuous variable diversity, I simply use standard deviation.

 Barry