My thanks to everyone who responded to my question. The question is
below, followed by a compilation of the sources recommended.

> A colleague has network data gathered through a snowball sample of
> community elites in a Midwestern city. He's looking for literature
> on
> what he can and cannot reasonably infer about the actual network
> based
> on this.

Cites:

Estimating relational attributes from snowball samples throughsimulation, Social Networks, Volume 11, Issue 2, June 1989, Pages 135-158 J. C. JohnsonJ. S. BosterD. Holbert

Frank, O. (1979). Estimation of population totals by use of snowball
samples. In Holland, P. and Leinhardt, S., editors, Perspectives on Social Network Research. Academic Press, New York.

Frank, O. (1981). A survey of statistical methods from graph analysis.
Sociological Methodology, 12:110-155.

Frank, O. and Snijders, T. A. B. (1994). Estimating the size of hidden
populatins using snowball sampling. Journal of O cal Statistics, 10(1):53-67.

Snijders, T. A. B. (1992). Estimation on the basis of snowball samples:
How to weight? Bulletin de Methodologie Sociologique, 36:59-70.

Salganik, Matthew J. and Douglas D. Heckathorn. 2003. "Sampling and
Estimation in Hidden Populations Using Respondent-Driven Sampling."
Unpublished Manuscript:36. http://www.columbia.edu/~mjs2105/respondent-driven-sampling.pdf

Heckathorn, Douglas D. 1997. "Respondent-Driven Sampling: A New
Approach to the Study of Hidden Populations." Social Problems 44:174-
199.

Heckathorn, Douglas D. 2002. "Respondent-Driven Sampling II: Deriving
Valid Population Estimates from Chain-Referral Samples of Hidden
Populations." Social Problems 49:11-34.

--
David Gibson
Assistant Professor